Oct 24, 2015

She Gathers...

One of the things I love most about gardening is Seed Saving at the end of the growing season.

Saving seeds has helped me save money and I've learned to be a little more self reliant. I also have a better understanding on how my small scale crops grow.

There is always something new to learn and today is no exception. 
Morning Glory Seeds were easy to find on the dried vines.

A few random Nasturtiums blooms were still hanging on... 
 Underneath the foliage... seeds were scattered all along the ground.
 The seeds have been gathered up and will need to finish drying.The Broccoli bolted early in the season....
I was pleasantly surprised to find that the plant was loaded with hundreds of seed pods.

Pods open up easily for harvest.

 These Leek seeds have been growing in the greenhouse for 2 growing seasons.

To my surprise...small bulbs resembling garlic bulbs surrounded the base of the Leeks when pulled up.


I guess it should have been a no brainer, but I never knew that leeks could form bulbs and now I know different.

So, I broke apart the bulbs and replanted them in the greenhouse.  The seeds have been saved for Spring planting. 

*Upon further research I discovered that I may have harvested the seed head to soon. If left alone the seed head would have formed grass like hair with bulbils that could have been replanted as well. 

There is always something new to learn!


No comments:

Post a Comment