Sep 20, 2015

Saving Carrot Seed

Carrots are a Biennial plant which means that in the first year they will produce leaves and a root and on the second year they will flower and go to seed. My carrots have finally gone to seed and are ready to harvest.
Here is a close up shot of the seed heads....They kind of look like hairy little bugs!
The seed heads are loaded and I am surprised at how many seeds are on one umbel.
The seeds are easy to harvest by shaking and gently rubbing from the umbel.  Watch out for earwigs though...I found a few while harvesting my seeds!
Looks like I will have plenty of carrot seed for  next years garden and the seeds are good for 3 years. 

Next step is to sieve the seeds  and rub the tiny hairs away with rubber gloves to make planting easier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment