Jan 1, 2016

Evicting Spider Mites


Signs your plant may have a Spider Mite infestation
  • You may notice small brown or yellow dots on the leaves of a plant 
  • Upon further inspection, you should start to see very fine silky strands of webbing on the plant.
  • Up close you will notice the spider mites moving around in the webbing

My poor little Lemon tree has recently come down with a case of Spider Mites.

I want to treat this right away.


I wrapped and secure the pot with a kitchen trash bag to keep the potting soil dry.


  Quick trip to the shower for this little tree since it's only around 10 degrees outside today in North Idaho. If you live in a warmer climate you could save yourself the trouble and do this outside ;-)


The shower will wash away cobwebs and most of the mites.


Then apply homemade insecticidal soap using the following ingredients you  have around the house.

Homemade Insecticidal Soap 
  • 1/2 gallon of Luke warm water
  • 1 TB. Dish Detergent
  • 1/2 TB. Olive Oil
  • 1/2 TB Rubbing Alcohol


Shake well and add to spray bottle. 


 Apply liberally 3 times a day for 3 days and this should get rid of all Spider Mites.




5 comments:

  1. Ok I'm going to try this tonight I have a lemon tree also but it is still young ..crossin my fingers ...Thanks for pinning !

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did it work? I'm about to try it out on my Fiddle Leaf Fig.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would this work on nats? They are on my succulents.Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I use this on hanging baskets?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to know if I can use this on ant plant as well. I have knats and spider mites. The yellow sticky paper helps but nor permanently

    ReplyDelete