Mar 28, 2020

Honey wheat sourdough Bread


Making bread and conserving ingredients I have been making a few crazy experiments as to what I can get away with while making bread during our Stay-at home Order. 
I have a bucket of wheat flour that is most likely outdated...It smells fine but is very wheaty tasting when cooked. I am determined to use it up and not waste it. That being said I am mixing it with all purpose flour at a rate of 1/3 of the flour that the recipe calls for. We have found we can live with that!
One of the other things is that if I mix it like my regular bread it ends up DRY!
So I'm pushing the limits with water and making this bread dough  on the runny side to fix the dryness issue.
As you can see it's almost a batter like consistency
I cover with cling wrap that has been brushed with a little olive oil to keep from sticking and let it rest

  when it's nice and bubbly from the active sourdough...I toss in the oven and bake 20 minutes.
 It's ugly and it's not going to win me any baking championships anytime soon, but we are using up that old wheat and it's actually good.

 Anyone else doing crazy experimentations in the kitchen while on stay at home order? Leave me a comment and let me know ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment